With the festive season fast approaching, it’s hard not to shudder at the thought of our budgets flying out the window and our wallets being left empty. There are ways to avoid the overspend at Christmas, putting you in good stead to start the year off with a healthy bank account.
Here are 5 tips to save extra money at Christmas:
1. Get imaginative with your wrapping: Whilst wrapping paper looks pretty, it is torn off and thrown in the bin eagerly to get the main event of the present… save costs by vetoing traditional disposable wrapping paper and try Furoshiki the traditional Japanese art of wrapping presents using cloth. Use the wrapping as part of the present by using a scarf or a beautiful piece of cloth. Alternatively try using old maps, newspaper or a vintage box for a quirky take on gift wrapping.
2. Think of sustainable options for kids presents: Santa will bring kids an abundance of toys this year, so why not think outside the box with some of the kids presents and opt for gifts that keep giving throughout the year, for example seedlings or DIY veggie gardens, or an experience voucher from redballoon.com.au – you can pick up some great experiences on there thats fun for the whole family at a bargain price.
3. DIY: are you a fantastic baker or have a talent with a paint brush? Gift some of creative or tasty masterpieces to family and friends. Not only will they receive something personal and unique from you which is much more special, but it will cost less than the generic candle from the shops!
4. Kriskringle: If you have a big family or group of friends, opt for a Kriskringle rather than individual presents. This way you only need to buy a present for one person and the limit is set so there is no need to worry about how much is acceptable to spend!
5. Embrace the veggies: Include some vegetarian options to your Christmas feast rather than sticking to the tradition meat filled table. This will help you save on your Christmas feast without worrying that you are missing out.
If you need help creating a family budget for all occasions in the year – contact Solid Investment Property on (03)9690 2666